Re: Bad Behavior in Workplace (was Ugly Incident)

Subject: Re: Bad Behavior in Workplace (was Ugly Incident)
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:42:55 -0700

Beth Agnew wrote:

> You will NEVER, EVER hear a swear word, sexual innuendo, derogatory =
> remark,
> ethnic slur, or negative comment about anyone or any company (including
> competitors!) at InSystems. Our President and VPs all model that =
> standard of
> behavior, and the expectation is that everyone else maintains that =
> degree of
> professionalism.

There's a huge difference between negative, belittling criticism such as you
describe and the "loud women" style that George Mena originally described. The
problem is with definition of terms. To [the now departed] George, "loud
women" may include the kind of belittling behavior you describe. To a lot of us
who have been "loud women" most of our adult lives, the term has more to do
with a jocular, sometimes noisy style of management that has nothing to do with
cutting other people's self esteem.

In a private message, George sought to explain to a bunch of us that he may
have been reacting to something from his childhood, and the explanation he
provided made me nod in understanding. However, it still doesn't excuse
sweeping most strong, vocal women into the same group he criticizes for loud,
erratic, threatening and/or demeaning behavior. George is, as are we all, an
adult and as such is responsible for his actions.

I would like to believe that, indeed, George pressed the Send button too soon
after venting via the keyboard and that in less stressful circumstances he
would never have phrased his thoughts that was for public consumption.
However, I have since learned that this is by far not the first time George has
been intemperate in his published language. I have an occasional flash of
temper too, and there are things people on this list have said that made me
very angry. However, I've long ago learned the value of letting a provocative
message just sit in my Inbox, till I can compose a rational response, or to let
a 'hot' response just sit for a while till I can view it with cooler eyes. THAT
is responsible, adult behavior, IMHO.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=