Re: Need Help Fast!!!

Subject: Re: Need Help Fast!!!
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:56:43 -0000

On 20-10-1998 21:07 David Dubin wrote:

>be training on new software and this information will assist in developing
>the training guides.
>
>1. Would you describe steps with bullets, numbers, or some other form of
>enumeration?

Steps, which are generally sequential, by numbering...

>2. How many different types of enumerative devices (excluding numbers)
>would you put into a training manual? Why?

sequentials by numbering, others (lists, items to choose, etc.) by
bullets or hyphens

>3. Which of the following would you rather use and why?
> Click the XYZ button.
> Click on the XYZ button.

The first is shorter...

>4. Other than quoting titles, do you use italics, and if so, for what?

Book titles, brand names and others to separate from the running text
(e.g. stressing single words)

>5. Currently, we use the following convention. To indicate what option,
> button, etc. someone is to select we bold the option button, etc. For
> example, (using the asterisks as bold) Click the *ABC* button and
> highlight the appropriate line.

Another option is to put ABC between parentheses: Click [ABC]

>6. Would you enclose any of the following elements in a box in the text or
> instructions: Names of buttons, windows, or dialog boxes?

In general I avoid boxes and shades - which make the page a bit unquiet -
and put screen dialoges, indenting, in a fixed font e.g. courier or
monaco. Windows come in as a subtitled illustration and buttons are
character-inserted in the line. However, I am not shure I am answering
your question right...

>7. Do you use underlining and if so, when.

Never

>My heartfelt thanks to those of you who are able to respond quickly,
> slowly, or who even think about it.

You're welcome
Kees de Bondt

QUALITY BY DOCUMENTATION
AlQuin Total Quality
Amstelveen, Home of CoBrA - NL
e-mail: cbon -at- wxs -dot- nl ph/fx +31.20.6450976
http://home.wxs.nl/~cbon/ The Quality Homepage

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=