Re: Ranking Criteria for Writers

Subject: Re: Ranking Criteria for Writers
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:23:51 -0700

Mike Starr wrote:

>Well, as it came to pass, the job descriptions were written
>in such a way that nobody at our office could qualify for the position of
>Technical Communicator III because one of the qualifications required for that
>position was that one had to have presented a paper at a professional
>conference or been published in a professional journal.

And people wonder why academic and professional journals are filled with
papers that offer nothing of any use to a reader.

I take the same strategy you do: just avoid companies with the kinds of
cultures that create these rigid job qualifications. There's lots of good
work to do, and many people out there who can recognize the people capable
of doing it.

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Boulder, Colorado

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=