FWD: ethical problem/job hunting

Subject: FWD: ethical problem/job hunting
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:34:25 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

>While doing so, however, *don't* mention that she's looking for another
>job. For a lot of pointy-haired bosses, that's an indicator that nothing
>more need be said or done about the person; she's decided to leave so let
>her and get on with her replacement.

When I worked in North Carolina, my experience was that it was usually okay
to let your bosses know you were jobhunting. If the boss wanted to know
why, you could always say something about 'a new challenge' or the usual
things people mumble during interviews when they're asked why they're
jobhunting. It made jobhunting a lot easier for everyone. I was somewhat
surprised to find out that here in NYC it isn't okay to tell your boss
you're jobhunting--I'm not sure what would happen if you were found out
(people just look grim and shake their heads when I ask), so I imagine
you'd be fired. My husband had to jobhunt on the sly. It makes the whole
process much more complicated.

I'm really glad Arlen brought this up, because I had been wondering whether
I should. I had concluded, since Anonymous's employee told *him* she was
jobhunting, that this might be an environment where jobhunting openly is
okay. But it never hurts to be on the safe side.

Hope this question isn't too naive--but is jobhunting on the sly pretty
much the rule Out There?

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=