Royalty-free Web graphics

Subject: Royalty-free Web graphics
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:17:56 -0600

Ruth Markham is wondering about obtaining graphics buttons etc. for
CBT, and does <<not have a graphics person on staff>>.

That suggests that it would be worthwhile hiring a local freelance
designer to create customized graphics (done as a "work for hire")
for your specific application. It shouldn't be too expensive, and
then you'll own the graphics outright and have no worries about
royalties because...

<<Everything is royalty free...>>

No comments on the specific supplier you noted, but read the license
information very, very carefully. _Publish_ did an article on this
topic (stock photos, but the same rules apply to art) a year or two
back. It was very enlightening to find out that "royalty free" had
some very tight strings attached to it in most cases. For example,
some of the clipstuff was royalty free only if you didn't intend to
sell the product. That's another reason why I recommend contacting a
freelancer to do work for you. If you don't have the budget to
create your own art, make sure you explain your application to the
vendor in writing, and get back a written permission to use the art
royalty-free in that application.

<<I'd also appreciate hearing about any other graphics web sites you
find useful or CD-ROM's that contain great graphics.>>

I like the stuff produced or marketed by ImageClub graphics
(www.imageclub.com?), a division of Adobe. Corel also has a Webart
collection if I'm not mistaken. Their standard clipart CD has
something like 20 000 images, some of which are easy to modify for
use on the Web. But again, check the license carefully.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"By God, for a moment there it all made sense!"--Gahan Wilson

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=