FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting - Slightly different angle

Subject: FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting - Slightly different angle
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:35:44 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Hi gang,

I'm not one to respond to these types of threads but this one is close to
home. Job hunting on the sly is nothing new in today's work environment.
It can be down right dangerous announcing to management that one is actively
pursuing employment elsewhere. The only instance I could see one telling
their management that they're seeking work elsewhere would be an individual
employed at a small tightly knit company where everyone is treated as
family. This would not work for personnel at a huge corporation (such as
mine 220,000+ employees) where layoffs and competition are prime drivers.
If I was to tell my manager, "Ya know, I think it's time I start looking
around, I think I can get better (insert desired motivation here) somewhere
else, or seek more of a challenge elsewhere." the manager would encourage my
efforts by initiating my termination or layoff.

But here's the twist to this little tale. I work in a technical
publications department with my fiancée. We are both software
administrator's (different programs/software) for our department's DTP
systems. My fiancée is leaving the company to work for one of our
competitors. Her motivation; better salary >40% increase, job security, a
new challenge, and most importantly longevity. When you've just purchased a
house it's comforting to know that you'll be able to continue making
payments after a year or so. So as it goes yesterday she informed
management that she has been picked up by a new employer. She's also a
generous person giving our management three weeks notice and provide
training for her replacement.

OK so the deed is done, now the plot thickens. Management has been aware of
our relationship for some time, well over a year. We are discrete and
conduct ourselves accordingly. As of yesterday it had been mentioned on
several occasions that I would be traveling to one of our field offices to
receive two weeks of SGML training. That has since changed, now an
alternate has been picked and will be going in my place. My neck is now on
the proverbial chopping block. We both knew that this would happen some day
as layoffs in our industry are a way of life, but now the clock has been
moved up for me.

This is where the mind game is played. Management has assumed I'll follow
her to this land of milk and honey or I'll just jump ship regardless. True,
this is my intent however I have no other choice now as the time has been
moved up. Now I know some of you out there will say, "Well, what did you
expect? You left management no recourse but to axe you." As that may be,
the point is, in some instances telling management IS dangerous and not
telling management CAN be as dangerous. It all depends on the
circumstances, only the employee will really know in each individual case.
Job hunting on the sly is common practice and a wise choice IMHO. Unless
these people you report to are your best friends they don't need to know
your actions. I know some of you won't share this opinion, but that's fine
with me. As for my resume, it's polished and ready for submittal.

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=