SUMMARY - Blurry Screen Shots in Word 97

Subject: SUMMARY - Blurry Screen Shots in Word 97
From: "Thompson, Sarah" <SThompso -at- RESDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:38:49 -0600

Hello, all!

Following is my summary of the responses I received to my request for
help with blurry screen shots in Word 97. I posted this before, but
haven't seen it come up - forgive me if it's a duplicate!

Word 97 automatically anti-aliases displayed bitmaps, so [images] seem a
bit blurry onscreen, but print (or convert to PDF) just fine. [more
than one reply was to this effect.] [Follow-up to this was to check my
compression settings in PDF - I did, turned off the button that referred
to "image downsampling," and viola! <g> st]
-------
The time spent editing points to something many people don't think
about: screen shots of dialog boxes generally don't need more than 16 or
32 colours. However, since they're grabbed on 256-color screens (at
minimum), they take up more space and memory than necessary. What I
used to do was pop the image into Paint Shop Pro, knock the color depth
down to 4-bit (16 colors), and apply a palette I designed to optimize
the colors for perfect reproduction in print, Windows Help, and PDF. It
only took a few seconds, but it saved a lot of time and disk space.
[another reply suggested finding out the color palette that the
developers were using and creating a custom Paint Shop Pro palette. st]
------
What I do is use the built-in screenshot thing in Windows, paste and
crop in Paint. Then I paste - special them as picture or bitmap, NOT
float over text. Scales and prints well. It may waste space, since
they are
stored in color but printed in greyscale.
---------------
I use SnagIt for screen grabbing because of its good pre-cropping
features, and PaintShop Pro for further cropping, if needed. About
blurring, see my "Tip of the month" for June '98 about resizing of
bitmaps on http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/ufm/tip-9806.htm.
---------------
Work in the TIF format... TIF saves all the image information and, as
far as I'm concerned, does the best job when you have to change size or
color depth.
------
If you are capturing large areas then cropping out a smaller section,
try setting some of the options on your capture softwear to permit you
to capture "areas". Then, capture only what you need for a specific
graphic.
------
Paint Shop Pro is a great tool - much more powerful than Paint. I've
had occasion to practically recreate screen shots to meet my particular
needs by copying, pasting, and "filling in the the pixels"!
-------
I was having the same problem but fixed it quite easily by ensuring that
I used the Paste Special command not just Paste. Within the Paste
Special command, you can choose what type of format to paste the screen
shot as.

Thanks again to everybody who replied!
Sarah

Sarah Thompson
Resource Data International
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a
sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=