Re: The Kiss of Death

Subject: Re: The Kiss of Death
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:28:24 -0700

Well golly, I seem to have ticked a few people off by saying that some
people (like myself) might look slightly askance at a resume that included
military service in it. Rather than spend a lot of time answering personal
messages, I'll just say that I have a personal revulsion to things
militaristic, and this carries over into a very minor, but still totally
irrational and unjustified prejudice against resumes with military
experience on them.

That doesn't mean that I think writers with military experience are any
better or worse writers than those without. I think it doesn't matter one
bit.

If John had asked if experience as a race car driver would have a
potentially serious negative effect, I would say it's highly unlikely
because I don't think there are very many people out there with irrational
twinges against race car drivers. There are bound to be a few, but not
enough to make it an issue. If he had asked about experience as a drug
dealer, or, heaven forbid, a lawyer, I think that would be a different
story.

As for military experience, I think that there are enough people who have,
as we say here in Northern California, "issues with the military," that it
is a valid concern. I know people who are REALLY against the military and
would not have anything to with you if a military record was on your resume.
They're even more irrational than I am. Having said that, my advice is screw
'em. You are what you are, and if someone has a problem with military
experience, that's their issue.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

PS. Just kidding about the lawyers. Really.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=