Other kinds of technical writing

Subject: Other kinds of technical writing
From: Peter Collins <peter -dot- collins -at- BIGFOOT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:58:56 +1000

Ben asked, Q: "So here's the question on my mind. Who should write
these other kinds of technical documents?"
A: Technical Writers
Reason: tautology, definition, whatever. One who writes technical
literature is ipso facto a technical writer, albeit perhaps untrained,
unqualified, unsuited, incapable and incompetent.
Comment: if those who choose to wear our label can't write programmers'
manuals we ought learn how to do so. It's the standard task: "Who is the
audience, what do they know already, what must they know at the end of
their reading, what language style are they most familiar with, how best
should the material be structured for minimum writing and maximum retention
...?" Then the detailed planning, perhaps a try-out on a sample from the
audience population to check their acceptance of the style (depending on
various sensitivity or political considerations) and go for it!
I don't see the problem? Why even ask the question? What have I missed?
One poor example doesn't make a winter.
Peter Collins, VIVID Management Pty Ltd,
26 Bradleys Head Road, MOSMAN 2088, Australia
+61 2 9968 3308, fax +61 2 9968 3026, mobile +61 (0)18 419 571
Management Consultants and Technical Writers
email: peter -dot- collins -at- bigfoot -dot- com ICQ#: 10981283
web pages: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/pcollins/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=