[Fwd: Split Infinitive Now Respectable]

Subject: [Fwd: Split Infinitive Now Respectable]
From: Chuck Martin <cwmartin -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:33:43 -0800

Considering that there's no such thing as a "split infinitive," I say
only that it's about time.

I forget whether it saw my Style in Technical Communication class or my
Technical Editing class that taught me that the preposition "to" is not,
has not been, and never will be part of the infinitive, which is the
single, simple verb.

So, in fact, a "split" infinitive can't exist--at least, until someone
figures out how to literally break the single word in two.

"Gottlieb, Lynn" wrote:

> No folks, this is not a joke...
>
> > October 26, 1998
> >
> > Split Infinitive Now Respectable
> >
> > Filed at 11:19 a.m. EST
> >
> > By The Associated Press
> >
> > OLD SAYBROOK, Conn. (AP) -- It's time to officially abandon the rule
> > against the split infinitive.
> >
> > Oxford dictionaries, makers of the self-proclaimed ``last word on words,''
> > has ended its centuries-old ban on splitting infinitives.
<snip>

begin:vcard
n:Martin;Chuck
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Oracle Developer
version:2.1
email;internet:cwmartin -at- us -dot- oracle -dot- com
title:Principal Technical Writer
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
tel;work:650-633-6169
fn:Chuck Martin