What should I choose?

Subject: What should I choose?
From: Susan Hester <susan -at- SIRS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:34:00 -400

I have a dilemma. My company has a software product which is available
to subscribers via the Web. Customers log in to our servers, use the
product, etc. Currently a very brief HTML page, prepared by our Web
department, serves as the help. I need to produce a thorough version
of help. I'm facing a dilemma when it comes to choosing what to use to
produce the help.

Our current Web software specs require that the user have either IE v3
or higher or Netscape v3 or higher. Users could be on a PC, Mac, or
possibly even Unix. To my knowledge, users do not download any files
or software from our site in order to use the product, though some
cookies may be created on their machine(s).

Currently, I have several "help tools" to choose from -- FrameMaker v
5.5 on a Mac (v5.5.6 is on order) and Word 97, RoboHelp v5.1, RoboHTML
(v?), etc on a PC -- along with miscellaneous other word processing
and graphical software on both platforms. I had assumed that I would
use something from the RoboHelp family to produce the help, but so far
each time I investigate an item it comes up short. For example:

- if I produce WebHelp, its cross-platform and handles most IE 3+ and
Netscape 3+ EXCEPT for IE v3 and Netscape v3 for the Mac (although
the sample on Blue-Sky's Web page seems to work with Netscape 3.01 on
my Mac)

- if I produce Microsoft HTML Help I would have cross-platform help
that would only work on IE

- same for NetHelp, cross-platform but only works for Netscape
browsers

- when I review RoboHTML it speaks of including two OCX files which
need to be registered and that screams Windows only to me; in my
RoboHTML books/literature I find no information regarding the
platforms which can use the help

So far, I don't seem to be coming up with one thing which will service
all -- but I'm hoping I've just overlooked some things, or perhaps
(hopefully, actually) my information is outdated. I really don't know
if I would be able to get approval for additional software, so I am
trying to find a solution within my current holdings. I am planning to
pitch the new RoboHelp v7 to my boss before the deal runs out Friday,
so if that includes a solution to my problem all the better. My fear
is, I am going to be resigned to just creating "generic" HTML pages
for each of the topics, foregoing a proper TOC, index, etc. If this
becomes the case does this become more of a FrameMaker project?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some
insight/help/direction.

Susan

ps -- If you could reply off-list that would be great as I subscribe
to the digest version. Thanks!

Susan M. Hester susan -at- sirs -dot- com
Electronic Development Mgr. www.sirs.com
SIRS, Inc.

Voice: 561-994-0079 x746 * Fax: 561-995-4058

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=