Re: Resume Revision/CvrLtr

Subject: Re: Resume Revision/CvrLtr
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:20:04 -0800

Cover letters may be separated from resumes, but I recall a fairly
recent exchange with an HR person (not a body shop recruiter) that a
cover letter should be sent with a resume ''even if you have to write
it in pencil.''

Cover letters, alas, are both good and bad. They tell the reader --
assuming there IS a reader -- why you are submitting your resume; they
don't [normally] tell the reader what ELSE you can do; how you can
(further) benefit the company -- example, "... with strong pr skills
and experience.'' I may miss out on the TW job but pick up on a pr post.

I might agree with Barry that ''clerks'' handle resumes if we are
talking about BIG companies -- a GM or Boeing, for example. Where I
live, resumes are scanned by very alert -- and prone to comment about
the product -- admin people. 'Course these people may be the
''exception to the rule,'' but many of the HR people I know either (a)
pass along all resume/cover letter material to the hiring manager or
(b) read the cover letter and [at least] the current/last job
responsibilities in an effort to match vcandidate skills with job
opportunities.

---Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM> wrote:

> More and more companies are scanning resumes into databases, and than
> searching on keywords to find qualified applicants.
>
> Cover letters are separated from the resume, and set aside (very few
are
> ever read).

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=