Re: Online Help question

Subject: Re: Online Help question
From: "William G. Meisheid" <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:50:39 -0500

|I'm developing an online help system taken as a direct (or almost
|direct) copy of our hardcopy documentation. My question: is it
|customary to include captions for online documentation as you do
|in hardcopy for tables and graphics?

Callouts are just as valuable (maybe even moreso) online as they are in the
hardcopy. You have also hit on one of the problems of placing hardcopy online.
There is no automated way to put callouts online unless you are using PDF. They
don't translate directly to WinHelp or HTML-based help. Most people end up
turning both the graphic and callouts into a single graphic using a screen
capture approach.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum Sysop & Microsoft MVP
Certified Baltimore/Washington area RoboHELP Training
Sageline Publishing 410.465.2040 Fax: 410.465.1812
http://www.sageline.com wgm -at- sageline -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=