Re: Is a tech writing degree best?

Subject: Re: Is a tech writing degree best?
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:10:36 -0500

> >I started over 10 years ago when there were no TW >degrees.
>
> That would have been a -lot- more than just 10 years ago.

Just to clairfy:

Yes, but TW degrees today are a lot more in vogue. They were not when I
started. By the time I started, TW programs were just being implemented
in NYC colleges like the one mentioned. New Jersey colleges (except
maybe Stephens Institute of Technology perhaps) did not have any TW
degrees or program. Most of them now offer TW degrees (both Bachelor
and Masters programs).

What I really meant was that very few TW degrees and programs existed
when I started, especially in the NY/NJ area. Most employers were not
really looking for someone with a TW degree explicitly stating for
someone having a degree in either English, Journalism, Communications.
Now, employers looking for tech writers are aware of the degree, and
have added it to the prerequisites for candidates (in other words, TW
degree may be preferred, but suitable candidates with the traditional
degrees may still be considered).

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=