Re: Techwriter Digest and Eudora Mail

Subject: Re: Techwriter Digest and Eudora Mail
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:23:59 -0800

Here are some things to try (several different methods):

1. Select Tools/Options/Incoming Mail and see if "Skip messages over 40K
in size" is checked.
2. If you see a little tow truck on your tool bar, click that, then
collect your mail again. The tow truck is authorization to collect a long
message in spite of its size.
3. Make sure your trash is emptied regularly so you have room for more mail.

If none of these help, look for help at http://www.eudora.com

Marilynne

Apologies to Eric, but it sounds like a question that needs to be answered
for more than one person.
At 08:00 AM 10/30/98 , Roz Ault wrote:
>Recently we switched our email from a command-line system to Eudora. Since
>then I have a lot of trouble opening Techwriter list digests. Some days
>Eudora (we've got Pro 3.05 for Windows) has no trouble. It will open the
>digest in my mailbox, although a bit slowly, showing a "Formatting" message
>at the bottom of the window, with a percentage-complete counter.
>
>Other days, it simply won't open the digest at all. Eudora just hangs, and
>I have to Control-Alt-Delete out of it. The variation doesn't seem to be
>specifically related to the size of the digest, since Eudora did open
>one that was over 170K, and refused to open another that was under 100 K.
>
>It also doesn't seem to be related to what else is running on the PC (a
>Compaq with 32 Mb of RAM; Windows 95), because it is just as likely to
>refuse to open the digest with nothing else running as it is with Word or
>some other application also open.
>
>This isn't an insurmountable problem, because I also have Eudora (the Light
>version) installed on my Mac, so I just go over there and get the digests.
>Under system 7, Eudora splits the digests into smaller chunks, whereas
>under system 8, Eudora on the Mac hasn't had any trouble opening the
>digests as one large message.
>
>I suppose Eudora Windows could choke on any large message -- but I haven't
>been getting anything else so large as the daily output of this wordy bunch
>:-) .
>
>So ... I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem and whether you
>have any suggestions, other than just continuing to read the digests on the
>Mac. (I really like my Mac, but my company has standardized on Windows, so
>I have to spend most of my time there.)

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM "We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=