Re: Occupational hazard of techie tech writers

Subject: Re: Occupational hazard of techie tech writers
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:08:15 -0500

Well, several different teachers who I consider wise (because they managed
to stuff worthwhile ideas through my own thick skull) have told me the same
thing, in different ways:

If you can't explain it in simple terms to {insert randomly selected
non-expert, your grandmother, for example, here} you don't really know it.

The inability to bring a subject back to basics, to present it to the
uninitiated, is not an automatic consequence of being an expert. It is a
consequence of being wrapped up in your own point of view. That may be a
workable state of mind for an engineer in some situations, but a
communicator just can't work that way. We are always presenting material to
people who have a point of view somehow different from our own.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=