Re: ANON: (was ANON: Mgmt, references, samples, supervisor problem)

Subject: Re: ANON: (was ANON: Mgmt, references, samples, supervisor problem)
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:18:38 -0500

> fault on both sides, but mostly mine and I take responsibility for that. I
> have changed my behavior, my attitude, and my work habits, but it has become
> obvious to me and to others that he wants me out, and I am eager to go. I'm
> looking for another position.

Dear Anon...(I'd like to have responded privately)

I expect that you are expecting all kinds of advice on how to neutralize
what you have admitted to; a history of bad "behavior, attitude, and
work habits". (or else why would you be changing them?) Also, taking
responsibility is different than acknowledging something. Responsibility
includes all the ramifications

That wouldn't be fair to those of us that understand (maybe the hard
way) that in order to get our references and samples, we work very hard
to not alienate ourselves from our management and supervisors, even if
we don't agree with their methods and ideas.

> I have several questions:
> Should I speak openly to my supervisor about the fact that I am looking for
> something else? We both know what's coming (either I leave voluntarily or I
> will be fired), and I feel I would really like to just put all our cards on
> the table and, for once, be honest with each other.

You cannot just flip a switch and expect your supv to treat you like you
want to be treated. How would letting him know benefit you? Why not just
do it, then if you get a position, give two weeks notice (which he may
not want and simply terminate you then) and move on.

> How can I acquire samples of my work here? It's proprietary software
> documentation, but it really reflects a major accomplishment that I feel is
> important for prospective employers to see.

You ask nicely, hope for the best, and if you don't get permission, see
my first paragraph.

> How do I explain this situation in an interview, if they want to know
> whether my supervisor would give me a good reference, or why I don't want to
> use him as a reference? How does one interview for one job if they don't
> want their current employer to know? This goes back to question 1 about
> whether I should just be up front with my supervisor about my intentions.

You simply tell the interviewer that you do not want him contacted and
don't give a reason. However, be ready to produce at least 3 other solid
references. When I apply for a job, I don't always include the last
supv., or even the last job. Instead, I include the best references for
the skill-set used at the position I'm applying for. This is why I have
about 15 people's prior permission..one or two upper/upper management,
some very technical, a few marketing and product management and even
some accounting and internal support. I supply the most appropriate.
Can you come up with 3-5 references from other people you've worked
with?

--
John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=