Re: Training Plan and Materials

Subject: Re: Training Plan and Materials
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:12:43 -0800

Since these people will, presumably, have the documentation for their
software, you can use that as the basis for the course documentation.
In fact, what I've usually done or seen done in courses I took was to
augment the product documentation with specific examples and exercise
handouts, gradually building in difficulty and complexity.

You'll also need a "script" for you and the other instructor, which is
usually just the student handout with what you will say/do/demonstrate
added.

If your partner is a training developer, he or she could provide you
with the framework and you, as (I assume) the SME would fill in the
details, while providing him/her with enough instruction to be able to
carry their part of the load.

As for the people who cannot attend, as long as your student handouts
are cross-ref'ed to the documentation it should serve nearly as well for
them. Set goals and expected levels of performance (you'll have to do
that anyway), and even the folks who have to do the training self-paced
will be able to judge their competency.

BJ

Michelle J. Nolan wrote:

> I am looking for input on how best to proceed with developing a training
> plan and materials. The person I will be team teaching with is located
> 3000 miles away, and we will have to develop the materials and content
> long distance. In particular, given the short schedule for training (I
> will only have the entire group for one morning), I am anticipating that
> the accompanying documentation will need to be considerable.. It will also
> need to stand on its own, since I am anticipating that not everyone who
> needs training will be able to attend. Some will need to handle this in
> self-study mode.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=