Re: Training and documentation

Subject: Re: Training and documentation
From: "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- ABACUSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:58:27 -0500

When I've done standup training on software, I make sure to show the users
the help system as part of the training. In the few cases where the client
is distributing printed documentation to all users, I make sure we look at
that, too.

But training materials aren't the same as documentation. They focus on
exercises rather than on the more complete presentation found in
documentation.

When I've based a class on a series of slides (rare for me but common for
other trainers), the slides form a kind of training outline. But the order
in which I train the skills or components varies a lot from the order in the
manual. Of course if the manual includes a tutorial component, that may
well be so similar to the training that there's no need for extra training
materials.

Jessica Weissman
Abacus Technology Corporation

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=