Re: HTML Help-- Benefits?

Subject: Re: HTML Help-- Benefits?
From: Jennifer Delmerico <Jennifer -dot- Delmerico -at- TSTNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:13:46 -0500

Colleen McKenna wrote:

> I would just echo others with the adage, "If it ain't broke,
> don't fix it."
> WinHelp, despite its quirks, isn't broken. For us, MS HTML
> Help offers no
> advantages.

with the following URL (online C/C++ Users Journal) as a source information:

http://www.cuj.com/archive/1608/feature.html

Interestingly, this article begins with,
"Few subsystems needed more help than Windows Help. Fortunately, Web
technology once again simplifies matters."

It goes on to state that the *major* benefits of HTML-Help are
1. Write once, use everywhere (not necessarily)
2. simplicity (definitely debatable)
3. Information typing (not yet fully functional)

and the *minor* drawbacks are
1. IE4 requirement (not so minor, I'd say)
2. every topic = separate HTML file (makes management difficult)
3. hard to create and manage popup topics (again, not so minor)
4. developer must know HTML

I tend to agree that WinHELP isn't broken (just outdated maybe), but there
are certainly those in the community who would disagree. I was surprised to
read in this article how vehement some of the disagreement is!

BTW, I will summarize the excellent offlist responses I got to the HTML-Help
question in a day or two. Thanks to everyone who contributed their opinion
or more information.

Jennifer Delmerico, Sr. Tech Writer
Transaction Software Technologies, Inc.
770-446-3211
jennifer -dot- delmerico -at- tstnet -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=