Re: ROI of Online Help Systems

Subject: Re: ROI of Online Help Systems
From: Craig Sanders <csanders -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:35:01 -0800

Hello, Karl!

I don't know of any sources for the material you are seeking, but I can say from my
own experience that:

Even though a company/client might want online documentation only, especially if
they produce a "Web Application," the first time they submit their new product to
one of the trade mags or other software/hardware reviewer, that reviewer will
request a hardcopy version of the documentation (Murphy's Law #1125). At this time,
somebody from Marketing/Sales will be paying you a call . . . .

I have that the best approach is to design a delivery system that can provide
single-sourcing. That is, be able to produce either print or online docs at will,
with a minimum of effort.

Hope this helps,
Craig Sanders

--
"The journey into the heart of an anomaly
can teach one the ultimate precariousness

begin:vcard
n:Sanders;Craig
tel;fax:(408) 937-0370
tel;work:(408) 937-0370
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:csanders -at- best -dot- com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Craig Sanders
end:vcard