Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...

Subject: Re: Numbered list misbehaviour in Word97...
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:30:54 -0500

Dan Schmitz :
<> Can anyone comment on Word's anti-social numbering behaviour and
suggest
<> work-arounds? I am a Framemaker user, where numbering problems like
this
<> are virtually non-existent, but unfortunately, I have to do a lot
of my
<> documentation in Word so that others can make changes later.

When a client insists that I use Word, I depend on _Word 97
Annoyances_ from O'Reilly to keep me sane. In addition to a wonderful
chapter that explains in detail how Word actually works (file
structure, layers, application of formatting/styles, and other behind
the scenes activities), it includes a 5-page section on
autoformatting. No magic cure, unfortunately, other than turning off
both automatic numbered and bulleted lists, but the detailed
explanation of Word's bizarre behavior has kept my tranquilizer bills
low and allows me to play Expert Consultant to my clients.

Good luck!

K@ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services
Technical writing | Editing | Conversions | Webstuff

"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money,
and of money into calories again are the three cycles in a
freelance writer's metabolism." /Mary Kittredge, _Poison Pen_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=