Interleaf to Frame+SGML Training

Subject: Interleaf to Frame+SGML Training
From: Mary Reynolds <Mary -dot- Reynolds -dot- mreynold -at- NT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 12:50:05 -0600

As a Frame user recently entering a corporate documentation group using
Interleaf (without SGML) and charged with helping train the group in
Frame+SGML on Unix, the recent discussions about frustration with
learning/using Frame have been enlightening. (I came to Frame from Word,
and it was quite a relief.) We will offer specific training in how to
use our custom templates (thus structure), as well as training in
document conversion and in bookbuilding.

The training team is discussing how to train the users in general
FrameMaker use (menus, help, concepts unrelated to SGML, etc.). Our
time and the department's money are limited. I would appreciate your
advice about training a department, group by group, in Frame+SGML, no
matter what the previous software used. What kind of resources did you
use? How much did the training cost? How long did the training take?
What format did the training take? Were the new FM+SGML users able to
produce work right away?

I am also still interested in hearing from anybody moving from Interleaf
to Frame or Frame+SGML. What were the hardest concepts to grasp or give
up for Interleaf users? Phil and Dmitri, thanks and I will get with you
later. Thanks, Alice Preston, for your input on IL-to-Frame.

(crossposted to Framers and techwr-l--apologies to those who get a
repeat)
----
Mary Reynolds

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=