Re: Feedback on Product Usability course in MA?

Subject: Re: Feedback on Product Usability course in MA?
From: Karen Molloy <Karen_Molloy -at- I2 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:12:54 -0500

Amy Lodato asked:

> Has anyone attended the course described below?
>[PRODUCT USABILITY FOR DOCUMENTATION PROFESSIONALS,
>given by User Inrerface Engineering.]
>If so, how would you rate it?

I haven't taken the one aimed specifically at Documentation Professionals,
but I've taken the one aimed at product development teams twice (at 2
companies). I rate it an A+ . I learnt so much about integrating
usability techniques throughout the development of a software product,
which I have been able to apply in my job.

> If this course isn't the "best in the nation," can anyone recommend
>similar in the SF Bay area, or anywhere in the West something coast?

I was under the impression that User Interface Engineering gives these
courses elsewhere in the USA besides Massachusetts. You might want to check
out their Web site for details: www.uie.com .

As for the question someone else asked, "What does uability have to do with
me as a technical communicator", my answer is, "Everything." A technical
writer has the role of the user advocate on the product development team,
as Chuck Martin described. If you are in a situation of not having any
input to product development directly, you can still do task analysis, user
profiles, and usability testing for doc, product, or preferably both.

Karen Molloy
i2 Technologies
Cambridge, MA USA

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=