Re: Template Design Question - Print and On-Line

Subject: Re: Template Design Question - Print and On-Line
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:33:35 -0500

Roger Morency wrote:

> Earlier this year we decided to take the plunge and deliver all future
> product documentation on-line. We will initially deliver everything on CD
> using Adobe Acrobat Reader as the viewing tool.
>
> Here's the problem: We create our manuals using FrameMaker. We plan to
> continue to use FrameMaker for our on-line effort and convert them to PDF.

[--snip--]

Roger,

First, I am not a Frame user, so this may not even make sense (it works
in Interleaf, though). Can you design a Frame master page and a set of
Frame paragraph styles that work better for online viewing? And then can
you publish the same source material both ways?

What I have in mind is larger fonts, fewer words per page, an aspect
ratio that fits in the Acrobat desktop (with thumbnails or bookmarks on
the left), hyperlinked navigation, etc.

(Then again, it might be just as easy to convert to HTML for online
viewing.)

If all you are doing is shifting printing cost from you to your
customers (that is, if you have no intention of their actually reading
the doc online), then Marsha Lofthouse's recommendation makes more
sense, even if it kills more trees.

YMMV,

Dick

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=