Re: Consultants--ethical question

Subject: Re: Consultants--ethical question
From: "William G. Meisheid" <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:36:33 -0500

>Since a web site acts as a marketing tool, how do people handle working with
>competing businesses? I have thought about creating a policy that says I
>will provide training for anyone, but will only design sites for one
>business per industry. But that really limits my market in this area.

If one followed this within technical writing or help development one would not
be able to get enough work to keep going. We have done many similar help
systems. To me the real question is do you have enough talent to make each web
site unique while still making sure that it reflects the requirements and design
goals of the owners. Every design-based organization has the same problem,
whether they be ad agencies, graphic design firms, or as you are noting, web
site designers.

If a client asks for some sort of exclusivity, other than that covered by basic
copyright and trademark issues, then they will have to pay for that, since
anything that limits your business has the potential of reducing your income.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum Sysop & Microsoft MVP
Certified Baltimore/Washington area RoboHELP Training
Sageline Publishing 410.465.2040 Fax: 410.465.1812
http://www.sageline.com wgm -at- sageline -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=