Re: Consultants--ethical question

Subject: Re: Consultants--ethical question
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:30:02 -0600

I have thought about creating a policy that says I
will provide training for anyone, but will only design sites for one
business per industry.

Stop thinking about that, now. It doesn't even resemble a Good Idea.

I work for a large company that sells products to other businesses which
are then branded by each of those businesses and resold. As such, we are
constantly in the position of supplying products and services to competing
businesses. There's nothing intrinsic in that which violates any ethical
standards.

The line you need to walk is to make absilutely sure you never favor one
business over a competitor without making them pay for the priviledge. In
the example you cite, you could supply two (or more) different types of
maintenance services, one which takes higher precedence than the other.
When calls from competing businesses come in at the same level, you have no
choice but to handle them in the order they were received.

I do have one client who insisted on a non-compete agreement, which
lists specific business types for which I cannot consult.

I've never liked those agreements. For that matter I've never really
understood their purpose. If I'm unethical enough to take knowledge from
your company and give it to a competitor in the first place, how likely is
it I'll let a simple piece of paper get in my way?

Be upfront about it; tell everybody that what you learn from a client stays
between you and that client, period; no exceptions. Make it a matter of
policy to be impartial, to refuse to favor one client over another. If
that's not good enough for them, that's a warning sign. Generally speaking,
the reason some people look behind the door is that they've hidden there
themselves.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224