Re: ANON: RE: Can a bad process make a poor writer? No...

Subject: Re: ANON: RE: Can a bad process make a poor writer? No...
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:37:30 -0800

Anon asks the age old question:
<snip>
> Can a bad process make a poor writer?
>
> I believe that it can.
>
> as a result of that, I'm seeing good writers
> slowly but surely turn into bad writers. And I'm seeing bad writers
> turn into something awful.
</snip>

And Barry has got to jump in and say:

What you are seeing is *good writers* turning out *poor documentation*.

I do not think that a technical writer allows their skills to become poor
because of departmental or company policy.

As technical writers, we have all had to compromise our "integrity" from
time to time due to circumstances. Sometimes quality has to be sacrificed
due to time and/or money limits.

Most good writers will only put up with this for so long, and then you see
the results that Anon so carefully described: Good writers looking for
challenges elsewhere leaving the slackers behind.

Flame me if you wish, the constant Portland rain will protect me...

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer
MBD Customer Documentation