[no subject]

From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:36:07 -0800

Michelle:

> Which is the correct, appears or displays? Is it a matter of preference or
> is one grammatically correct?

ARGH!!!!!!!! This is one of my pet peeves. "Appears" is a non-transitive
verb; it does not require an object. "Displays" is a transitive verb, and
requires an object. Try an example: "when the curtain parts, the stage
appears." vs. "when the curtain parts, the stage displays." Most people,
faced with the latter choice, will ask "Displays what?" And THAT, my friend,
is the mark of a transitive verb.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems
(and ex-English teacher)