Re: Beginning a job search

Subject: Re: Beginning a job search
From: Nick Marino <Rhetonic -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 23:54:03 -0600

Regardless of the field, it is never too early to begin "networking," the first step(s) in a successful job hunt. Academic and writing jobs are especially filled through networked contacts because of their heavy emphasis on reputation and references.

At the very least, you should begin a serious job search six months prior to graduating.  Of course, job announcements will specify dates that are more in the order of days, weeks, and maybe even a few months from their posting dates, but responding to these is something different from networking for contacts.  Some studies show that well over 80% of all jobs are filled through networking.  If you wait for job announcements to begin your job search, you become just another brick in the wall.

Nick Marino
Freelance Word Works
Professional Re'sume' Writing and Job Search Consulting Services
512.584.2912

Lynna D Peneguy wrote:

I am graduating next May with a Ph.D. in English (emphasis in linguistics
and technical writing), and I need feedback from the list concerning when
to begin a serious search for a job in technical writing.

Academic jobs are usually posted six months to a year in advance, thus I
can apply for academic jobs now, even though I won't finish my degree
until May.  But I'm a little fuzzy on when (as a rule) to start applying
for non-academic technical writing jobs.  Is six months in advance simply
out of the question?  Would two to three months in advance make more
sense?

I'd appreciate any advice you have on this matter.

Lynna Dunn Peneguy
l -dot- d -dot- peneguy -at- juno -dot- com

begin:          vcard
fn:             Nicholas Marino
n:              Marino;Nicholas
org:            Freelance Word Works
adr;dom:        ;;;Bishop;TX;;
email;internet: Rhetonic -at- gte -dot- net
title:          Owner
tel;work:       512.584.2912
tel;fax:        512.584.3121
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0