Simple Formatting Question - Numbered Steps

Subject: Simple Formatting Question - Numbered Steps
From: Roger Morency <rogerm -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:05:53 -0500

We are currently debating some minor aspects of our new FrameMaker
templates. Significant portions of each chapter in our manuals consist of
numbered steps. We have always formatted these steps like this:

Step 1: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.
Step 2: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.
Step 10: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.

A proposal is on the table to right justify the "Step Number:" portion of
these instructions so that the colons are aligned. Doing that makes the word
Step slightly indented for steps 1 through 9. We do not have too many
procedures that go beyond 9 steps, but we do have some. The result would
look like this:

Step 1: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.
Step 2: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.
Step 10: <tab> Action to perform followed by expected result.

I have searched the archives and could not find any rules pertaining to this
so I guess it is just a preference question. How do those of you who
document procedures using numbered steps do this?

Thanks,

Roger Morency
rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com <mailto:Rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com>
Ontario Systems Corp.
1150 West Kilgore Ave
Muncie, IN 47305
(765) 751-7000