Re: certification

Subject: Re: certification
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:33:41 -0500

Certification would be an administrative nightmare. There are many different
types of tech writers, from software and/or hardware, to ISO 9000 and/or
manufacturing, with pharmaceutical and everything else in between. What would
be the standard test for certification? We have already determined on this
list that it is the ability to write for a particular field that is important,
not the tools.

Okay - so we won't be tested on tools. Will a test be developed for each
particular market? Writing software user manuals is quite a bit different that
documenting thread speeds on a multispindle Davenport.

Even within the software world, there are differences depending on the types of
documentation one specializes in. Will I be tested on my ability to write user
manuals? Or my ability to document API's? Help files? Hard copy? They are
all different, and everyone has their specialty. Of course, there are many
good Jacks of all trades, but there are many writers who specialize in ONE type
of writing.

I do not want to be certified (there's that double entendre again). The proof
of my ability is my output, my reputation, the fact that this company keeps me
and pays me progressively more, and that other companies will want me when I
move on - based upon my PROVEN ability.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree