Kill the Certification Thread

Subject: Kill the Certification Thread
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:37:42 -0800

Elna Tymes writes:

> And the problem with that is that there is NO "agreed upon body of
> knowledge" that universally applies to technical writers.

A number everybody should be familiar with is "20%" - that's the
percentage of working programmers who have CS degrees. Most
programmers, as well as most tech writers, get into the field by the
back door.

> We have discussed the issue of certification to death several times
> in the last year. I, for one, vote to terminate the discussion
> unless, after carefully reading the archives on the subject, you
> have something new to offer.

Amen. I've skipped 90% of this thread, and I'm planning to go
back and delete the 10% I saved for later reading (Now I remember why
I never saved/read them in the old days).

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=