Accessing documents on the Web--how to keep it secure

Subject: Accessing documents on the Web--how to keep it secure
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:22:03 -0600

We are working on an area for our company web site where our customers
could download our product documentation in PDF format. This area
needs to be secure--accessible only to customers with passwords.

We are having a hard time figuring out who will be responsible for
handing out the passwords, and have thought that an automated system
(customers fill out a form, which they e-mail to a program that
compares their information with some sort of database and assigns a
password) might work for us. I am sure that something like this
exists, and wondered if anyone out there has used or is using such a
program to give people access to documents on the Web.

Can you give me any pros/cons of such a system, and let me know what
program you're using?

Nora
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com

p.s. Yes, I realize that competitors could falsify their addresses and
get a password.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=