Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Judyth Mermelstein <Judyth_Mermelstein -at- BABYLON -dot- MONTREAL -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:23:45 GMT

David Lettvin said:
>I like gridlet. I like it better than all the rest put together.
>Octothorpe is cute but takes too long to say.

Do you plan to rename chocolate, too?

As an old-fogey editor, I say "If something has a name, use it." It will
always be an octothorpe to me. I do call it a "number sign" when dealing with
children and the elderly, but "pound sign" sets my teeth on edge. "Gridlet"
is cute but, like the other suggestions, surely unnecesary. The
trisyllabically challenged can just think "octopus" and they'll do fine.

Regards,

Judyth Mermelstein
freelance writer, editor, translator, and curmudgeon
<judyth_mermelstein -at- babylon -dot- montreal -dot- qc -dot- ca>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=