Strange GIF symptom

Subject: Strange GIF symptom
From: Richard Mateosian <xrm -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:23:41 -0800

I inherited a website to maintain, and it has an oddity that
mystifies me.

This website is on the Internet, and I have an exact copy - same
directory structure and files - on my personal (Windows98) machine.

On the starting page there are three links to a 2K GIF - a small
clipart picture of a file cabinet. They look fine when I view them
on the Internet with either IE4 or Navigator 4.

When I view the same page on my personal machine, however, Navigator
4 sees it OK, but IE4 shows me a little red x where each file
cabinet should be. What can it be about a GIF that lets IE4 see it
OK from a remote URL but not from my local machine?

I also tried opening the file cabinet GIF directly with IE4 (rather
than via a link from the local version of the starting page). Same
red x.

Any clues? ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net> www.cyberpass.net/~srm/
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA