Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction

Subject: Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction
From: Rahel Anne Bailie <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:10:50 -0800

> I've only been here since August and think I should give this job and this
> organization and myself more time before I call it quits, but I get more
> and more frustrated every single day. When I first got here they werent
> giving me any work at all and I complained to my manager and now I'm at
> least getting work...

I'd caution against leaving right away., but consider the following;
* You need to feel you're doing something worthwile.
* You need to develop a good track record.
* You need to leave this job "honorably".
* You need to use this job as a step in your career path.

Figure out what you'd like to do in your next job. Be specific: Web work?
On-line help? Single-sourcing? Write yourself a game plan on how you will do
that while you're at your current job, whether it be by carrying on as you are
now and taking courses or finding a way to turn your job into the training
ground you need (my preference). Try to shape the job in a way that helps you
reach whatever your goal. It will/should impress your boss that you have
assessed the situation and know the steps to get there; often they're
floundering but don't want to admit it. Then throw yourself into the duties and
succeed at whatever goals you've set up. This allows you, a year or two from
now, to write your goals and achievements on your resume, and use it to market
yourself to your next employers.

Of course, not knowing the situation, this might not be practical, but I've
seen this strategy applied with success in several instances.

Rahel Bailie

begin:vcard
n:Bailie;Rahel Anne
tel;fax:(604) 293-0047
tel;work:(604) 293-0039/5432
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.newbridge.com
org:Newbridge Networks Corporation;ATM Group
adr:;;;Burnaby;BC;V5C 6C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rbailie -at- newbridge -dot- com
title:Technical Writer
fn:Rahel Anne Bailie
end:vcard