Re: Too many jobs on a resume

Subject: Re: Too many jobs on a resume
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:34:28 -0800

David,

> "Short" duration to me means two years or less. If I see a job history
> in which the person changes jobs every year or two, I get alert. Two or
> three such jobs don't bother me much if I see at least one place where
> the person has lasted three to five years. I might still interview a
> person but closely question them about the job changes and check
> references carefully.

I would certainly be "passed over" by your screening then, despite my 15
years as a tech writer or writing manager.

My first tech writing job (1984) lasted just 14 months. I was part of a 10%
company-wide layoff. My second job (with a division of Computer Associates
that I no longer even list on my resume) lasted five months and ended when
the company laid off 25% of the work force. At another company, I was hit in
the second layoff (50% of 130 people during the first layoff and 50% of the
remainder in the second layoff). Another company where I worked filed for
Chapter 11 and ceased to exist about six years ago.

In each of these positions, when starting I've discovered an extensive
backlog of unwritten documentation. One company was 40 publications
backlogged and had only one staff writer when I was hired. I've always
nearly eliminated those backlogs.

Instead of looking at "duration", I suggest you look at the accomplishments
of the individual. You just might be surprised.

Denise L. Fritch
Sr. Tech Writer
IntelliCorp, Inc.
Mountain View, CA