Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction

Subject: Re: ANON: job dissatisfaction
From: "Szews, Susan K." <szewss -at- MPS -dot- BELLHOWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:39:38 -0500

I've only been out of college and in the work force for 2 1/2 years now, but
I have learned a few things.

The most important thing I learned is this:
Never complain about general 'work-life' woes (such as "Not getting the big
pictures sucks...") without offering at least a half-baked solution to the
problem. If you do nothing but complain to your co-workers, your boss, your
friends, and your family about your horrible work environment, they will not
take you seriously. Chances are, they will quickly become irritated with
you. I know I was irritated after reading your post, especially after
wading through the bragging about the salary increases. Don't expect to get
any sympathy after crowing about your good monetary fortune to the (perhaps)
less fortunate.

In order to avoid falling into the complaining-without-solution mode, here
are my two pennies:

1. Start thinking up your own solutions to your own problems. Use this
list as a sounding board to see if your solutions are valid, not just to
spout off about your poor, wretched, miserable, work life.

2. Seriously start thinking if you are in the right career. I don't know a
single tech writer who is fully aware of the 'Big Picture'. Come to think
of it, I don't know many project managers (who are supposed to be in charge
of the Big Picture) who can see the entire forest for the trees.

Susan Szews

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=