Job dissatisfaction

Subject: Job dissatisfaction
From: Melissa Lowery <melissa -dot- lowery -at- CAPITALONE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:08:00 -0500

I had wanted to stay out of this public airing of job dissatisfaction,
but I have a different perspective and a different solution to Anon's
problem than those offered previously. I too had a series of tech
writing jobs that basically sucked...but, I stuck it out in two of
them to get enough experience and enough "stability time" to look for
a better alternative.

I taught myself how to be a technical writer in my first position. I
literally learned on the job and from the ground up (as the clichés
go), as a lone tech writer. I got paid $9.00 an hour and tuition
reimbursement for that job. I stayed there 3 years and learned more
from this list and from the everyday problems I encountered there than
any degree program could teach me. If Anon thinks his current
situation sucks, he doesn't have a clue. Try working for almost
nothing and see if boredom is your biggest complaint.

My second tech writing job paid more, but was extremely taxing. For
example, I worked 87 hours of overtime one of the months that I was
there (that's 6+ weeks in a four week time span). I was miserable in
that job, but I learned an enormous amount in less than a year's time.
I started looking for a new job as soon as I reasonably could.

I found a better paying job doing less interesting work. It was a four
month contract and it taught me a lot about following a predetermined
format and about how to use Framemaker. I can now say that I can write
to government specifications and that I helped produce a 1000 p.
manual in 10 weeks.

When I was recruited for my current job, I knew that my diligence and
patience had paid off. I LOVE my current job. I get to do interesting
work, work with knowledgeable people, and still have a very full
personal life. It has been a little over a year since I worked that 87
hours of overtime and things are so different!

In the 6 months that I've been in this position I've learned document
design, project planning, and real teamwork. The company is paying for
me to take graduate classes in tech comm to get that degree I wasn't
ready to pursue 4 years ago. I appreciate the opportunity, but I
worked hard to get it.

Maybe Anon should try a little perseverance. Try to learn what you can
from your current position. Take the initiative and make your job what
you want it to be. Lack of clear direction from management can be a
good thing if you want to tailor your job to your interests. If you
don't think that will work, forward your resume to me. We're currently
hiring new writers for my team. Anyone other than Anon who might be
looking for greener pastures is welcome to apply as well.

Melissa Lowery
Distributed Service Group
Capital One
melissa -dot- lowery -at- capitalone -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000