Re: Degree

Subject: Re: Degree
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:34:54 -0500

Okay - I admit - the jig is up and I am now found out to be the fraud that I
am. I have no degrees or certificates. I won't even mention my (non)level of
education. It's really amazing though, how my lack of formal education has not
prevented me from pursuing chosen avenues with companies that worship pieces of
paper.

I was with Xerox in a progression of positions. They have a policy of only
hiring people with degrees. I joined them as a Customer Education
Representative, already having several years of adult education experience and
acing their numerous tests. I progressed to Customer Education Analyst,
Systems Analyst - Field Service Systems, Technical Support Analyst - Office
Systems Products, ending as National Service Support Representative. Along the
way I learned to write.

I contracted as a Technical Writer for three years for a financial software
company. Average pay - $40/hr for writing/editing, $80/hr for consulting.

I'm captive at the moment, as a Technical Writer for a large retail
organization that worships MBA's. I'm making $60,000+. Mind you, this is all
in Canadian dollars, but IMHO good rates for this market.

In case the thought crossed any suspicious minds - I have never lied about my
qualifications.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

On Friday, December 04, 1998 2:07 PM, Virgil Jones
[SMTP:virgil_jones -at- EMAIL -dot- COM] wrote:
> Tizer-
>
> I can identify with your posting. I work for a small company (been here 3-
> months) and I make under 30k a year. I don't have a degree. I have a
Technical
> Communications Certificate which. I kinda fell into the job by accident. I
> was working at the front desk and there was an opening for a entry-level
> technical communicator position. Because of my enthusiasm I got the job.
> However, I wonder how many people out there have no degree and are working as
> technical communicators?
>
> I'd like to here from those that don't have college degrees.
>
> VJ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=