Re: =20

Subject: Re: =20
From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <nm -at- NOADSPLEASE -dot- II -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:27:02 -0500

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, I wrote:
> If we were all using mailers that understood how to send and
> receive MIME messages, we'd never see "=20" at the end of a line.

I should have also said: And if our messages passed through
gateways that do not strip MIME headers. All the messages I've
sent to this list were Bcc'd to another account of mine and those
copies arrived with their MIME headers, i.e.:

But, the copies of my messages that I got via the list had the
MIME headers stripped out. Then I started looking through
messages in the list and found messages that started out with
blurbs like this:

My mailer, Pine, understands MIME very well so this message,
along with all the quoted-printable encodings I see on this list
raised my suspicions. Of the 742 messages I have archived from
this list, NONE of them have the Content-Transfer-Encoding
header. Some of them have this "header" in the body of the text,
but none of them have it in the actual header. My guess is that
the mailing list management software for this list is stripping
MIME headers and thus making it impossible for MIME-aware mailers
to decode the messages and present them without those ugly =XX
characters. It would be great if this could be fixed...

Thanks,

--

Nancy McGough http://www.ii.com/ Infinite Ink

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=