Breaking into our profession

Subject: Breaking into our profession
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:57:43 -0500

U.S. TECHWR-Lers,

Breaking into the technical communication right now is easier than ever.
However, you have to *really want* to make it your career. I started in
1987 as an apprentice earning $6/hour. When I moved to North Carolina,
I wrote many articles for the local Society for Technical Communicatoon
newsletter, _Carolina Communique_
(http://www.stc.org/region2/ncc/pubs/communique/index.html) -- for free
-- just to build a reputation for myself in the Research Triangle Park
area. It was a great investment.

My point is, you may have to sacrifice quite a bit in income or even
move to another part of your state or another area of the country to get
into this profession. But, if you are reasonably intelligent and a
decent communicator, you *can* do it, now more easily than ever.

-Mike

--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin - U.S. EPA Scientific Visualization Center

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=