Alternative to Front Page?

Subject: Alternative to Front Page?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:07:05 +0100

Hello Jill,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Jill Burgchardt an All am 04.12.98

JB> QUESTIONS (at last):
JB> Are any of the other products suggested as good for rapid
JB> prototyping?

yes - if you are interested in structure and not in page design: SchemaText
(http://www.schema.de).

- You start with some object-oriented structure design:
What types of nodes you want and how they could be connected.

- Next you click your structure together: Create nodes, give them types
and names and connect them - all in a graphical interface.

- Compile your hypertext system and click around. And you get several times
more links than you created yourself.

Simple example taken from my Web site:

(please use a monospaced font to disply)

Type definition
_______________

Calendar

One month's overview

Event

Created system
______________

Professional Events

+--------------+-----+-------+-----------+
| | | |
January ----- February ------ March ----- April
| | | |
+------+---+---+ +---+---+
Evt 1 - Evt 2 - Evt 3 Evt 4 - Evt 5

The monthly overviews are connected automatically because these nodes are
sisters: They have the same type and the same mother node. The same holds true
for event 1 to 3 and event 4 and 5. You can browse my calendar chronologically
because of these automatically created links.

And even in my Web site the monthly overview nodes contain no manually
inserted code. The January node automatically contains something like

<ul>
<li><A href="...">Evt 1</A>
<li><A href="...">Evt 2</A>
<li><A href="...">Evt 3</A>
</ul>

(This is the default that I could change to what I wanted - even to RTF code
for Winhelp.)

Say I rename the node "Evt 1" to something like "Free beer at Alexander's
office on the 26th" the unnumbered list above is changed accordingly. If I
want it a node contains its name as its main heading.

JB> Can any of them be used to edit a page that has extensive
JB> Netdynamics and
JB> ColdFusion code without altering sections not deliberately
JB> edited?

If you enter code into an node Schematext does nothing to it. But you enter
only some of the code within the <body> tag. SchemaText has its own extended
tags you can e.g. use to put the hot spot of a link to the place where you
want it.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=