Re: Alphabetizing Surnames

Subject: Re: Alphabetizing Surnames
From: Rahel Anne Bailie <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:16:36 -0800

My rule has been to keep hyphenated names as is (Gibson-Payne under G) but list
unhyphenated names under the one that appears last (Gibson Payne under P). One
never knows where the middle name(s) end off and the surname begins.

Rahel Bailie
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Julie Comstock-Fisher wrote:

> On Thursday, December 10, 1998 12:32 PM, Leona L. Magee-Dupree
> [SMTP:leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM] wrote:
> > What is the rule for alphabetizing surnames? How is Janice Gibson-Payne
> > alphabetized?
>
> I'd say she was Gibson-Payne, Janice. After all, her last name is one unit--why
> would you swap the parts around and make things more complicated? Of course, I
> have a vested interest in not messing up hyphenated names. :-)

begin:vcard
n:Bailie;Rahel Anne
tel;fax:(604) 293-0047
tel;work:(604) 293-0039/5432
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.newbridge.com
org:Newbridge Networks Corporation
adr:;;;Burnaby, BC  V5C, Canada 6C6;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:rbailie -at- newbridge -dot- com
title:Technical Writer, ATM Group
fn:Rahel Anne Bailie
end:vcard