Fix to Powerpoint Notes Problem

Subject: Fix to Powerpoint Notes Problem
From: Linda Moseff <source -at- SSI -dot- PAIR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:39:15 -0500

Here is a workaround:
So here?s what I learned after speaking with MS Tech Support:

- Yes, there is a bug in the 97 version of Power Point.
- There are things you should do to help control this bug from affecting
your presentations.

What you SHOULD do when working in Power Point
These are things that will help ensure that the bug does NOT affect your
presentations:

Always turn off ?Allow Fast Save? when working in ppt. To do this:
1. Open any ppt file
2. Click Tools > Options
3. Click the ?Save? tab
4. If selected, deselect ?Allow Fast Save?
5. Click OK.

Only save in Slide view. Do NOT save in Notes, Sorter, Outline, etc.
View other notes pages before closing a presentation. For example, if
you open a presentation, make changes to a notes page and save the file
again ? this MAY contribute to the problem of losing notes pages.
Rather, you should, open a presentation, do what you need to do, and
make sure you view a couple of other notes pages before closing the
presentation and saving in Slide view.

One more possible remedy for this bug:

The Technical Support person I spoke with recommended downloading the
SR-2 patch from the Microsoft web site. This patch was developed to take
the place of SR-1 because SR-1 is causing problems in several Office 97
applications. The Tech Support person seemed more confident that the
above mentioned ?SHOULD DO? list would remedy the problem, but the SR-2
patch is a good thing to have anyway. We also tested creating a ppt
presentation and saving it after doing all of the above listed things
and the notes pages were fine, so it appears these things will work.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=