Re: HTML-based tutorials?

Subject: Re: HTML-based tutorials?
From: Robert Heath <rddheath -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 05:13:07 -0800

---"Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)"
<ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for a Web-based tool (e.g., a
> specific CGI script) that will total up correct answers to provide a
> final grade? We could always use e-mail based forms that send the
> completed test to us for grading, but I don't want to add that to our
> workload. How about something HTML-based that will be independent of
> the operating system (i.e., so that users of the CD version can get a
> grade whether they're working on PCs, Macs, or UNIX)? I suspect a
> Java application may be our only choice, and though we do have a
> small budget for programming, it would be better to obtain a
> commercial product if one exists.

Wouldn't it be possible to do this with JavaScript? If the answers are
not all that complicated (or even if they are, if you know regular
expressions), you could match the student's answer against the correct
answer. The result could be added to a variable keeping count of the
score, and you could display the value of the variable at the end of
the test.

If the test is comprised of more than one page, I believe it is
possible to store the value of the score variable in a hidden frame,
or you could simply write a cookie containing the value of the
variable to the user's computer every time he or she called up a new
page of the test.

Any seconds or other suggestions from anyone?

Robert Heath
rddheath -at- yahoo -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=