Re: What software to learn?

Subject: Re: What software to learn?
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:39:00 +0100

Becca,

As your friends strengths are definitely in the graphic design field, she
should stay there.

Assumed that those courses are really worth their money, Illustrator and
Photoshop are certainly the ones to go.

On the other hand, the one which has absolutely nothing to do with graphic
design workflow is MessyWord. So, unless she wants to take the MS Word
courses as a brainteaser, she should drop it.

Besides that, if she can learn from reading, I suggest that she would get
some good books which cover the concepts. She might also look at the "Step
by Step" series, which has very good hints from graphic designers for
graphic designers.

And yes, the most important thing she would have to do: practice, practice,
practice.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>A friend of mine has been doing graphic design for many years... but
>not using computers. She's realized that she needs to learn the tools
>to upgrade her skills so she can find better (and better paying) jobs.
>Consequently, she's looking into going to our local jr. college (which
>has a very good reputation locally for job-retraining and adult
>continuing education, btw) and taking some courses. She can probably
>afford only one semester as a full-time student, and wants to target
>classes that will make her most employable fastest.
>
>She knows she wants to take a class on designing and publishing on the
>Web.
>
>Her prob is, there are 5 other classes she really wants to take... and
>she
>can only take 4 of them. (the intro/advanced classes are 1/2 a
>semester of the introductory class, and 1/2 a semester of the advanced
>material.)
>Her choices are:
>
>* intro and advanced MS Word
>* intro and advanced PageMaker
>* intro and advanced Quark
>* intro and advanced Illustrator
>* intro and advanced PhotoShop
>
>I've been recommending that Quark be the one she drops; she's
>reluctant, and
>thinks maybe she should drop PageMaker.
>
>My question is, if you saw a job application with 4 of the 5 of these
>tools listed, which 4 would you find most enticing?
>
>We need to know soonest; they're already registering for Winter term.
>
>-Becca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=