Inaccurate SMEs and Respect

Subject: Inaccurate SMEs and Respect
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:18:26 -0700

WARNING: I am a touch cranky. Probably because I still have major Christmas
shopping left.

Why does it seem that, every time that someone posts a "people problem" to
the list, there are a flood of replies about going to their managers
immediately? Aren't conflict resolution and people skills part of our
professional toolkit? Can't this person work it out (or duke it out) with
the SME?

We have a chronic problem SME here, and I frequently have to work with him.
Yes, I told my manager that he was difficult (well, she already knew), but
that I could work it out. Last week my manager saw the two of us working
well together, and guess what, it showed in my performance evaluation AND
the SME now respects me, my opinions, and my job, and makes a greater effort
to provide accurate, timely information.

How can you possibly gain respect if you constantly whine to your manager
when Billy (or Betty) won't play nice?

Jason
Feelin' cranky for some reason.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=