Re: Developers

Subject: Re: Developers
From: Bill Swallow/commsoft <wswallow -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:48:08 -0500

First let's not get into the 'developers don't know how to write' subject -
some write very well. You have to remember that developers are used to
looking at things like "users SHOULD have to be able to do this" and
writers look at things like "What DO I DO next to do what I need to do?".

The best way I have found to get a developer to examine 'just the facts,
m'am' is to ask for just the facts. If you get corrections on your writing
style, simply say thank you and then explain that you were looking for more
of a technical review for product accuracy.

"Leona L. Magee-Dupree" <leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM> on 12/17/98 11:04:13
AM
Please respond to leona -dot- magee-dupree -at- CCBCC -dot- COM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc:
Subject: Developers

I gave a copy of instructions to a developer and the developer ignored the
instructions and changed the sentences from active to passive. The
developer tried to edit the documentation. What does a technical writer
have to do to get feedback about the accuracy of a document and not "tid
bits" of how to write from someone who does not know how to write? Why do
developers do this? How should we react?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=